Saturday, March 16, 2013

I got MY peanut butter in MY chocolate

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

Hello there, I have been off the radar lately!  No excuses.  Moving on, today I would like to share a nummy recipe for Peanut Butter Brownies.

It was the hubby's birthday recently and the ingredients he wanted me to work with were PB & chocolate.  Well that was last years secret items too!  I didn't want to make another layered cake with peanut butter frosting.  

One of his favorite cookies as a child were Nutter Butters.  I wondered if I could incorporate them in a dessert.


I was also itching to use my new Pampered Chef square muffin tin.  I bought it forever ago and have not used it.  Shame on me.  I don't know if they even sell it anymore.  


First I made some brownie batter using two Ghiradelli Triple Chocolate Brownie Mixes.  It's really a wonder there are other brownie mixes out there with a name like that one.  I filled the squares a little less than halfway with batter, topped with a cookie and then put more batter on top.

Ignore all the Pam over spray :-)
I took the rest and made a giant version with my 8x8 pan, which I promptly took a picture of.  Oh wait, no completely spaced that last part.

Here is where it got tricky.  How long do you bake them?  I set the oven to 325, if you use an 8x8 pan it is about 40-50 minutes.  I started at 20 minutes and then checked every 5.  I ended up baking them for  35 minutes but I think that was about 5 minutes too long because they do continue to bake while in the hot pan.

When they are cooled, mix up some ganache.  I have never made this before so I opted for the microwave version which turned out ok.  I think next time I will make the stove method.  It would be nice to see if cooking over the stove would allow it to be thicker without waiting so long to cool.  That aside, it tastes amazing!

Mix chocolate and heavy cream 1:1 ratio.  You need to use a scale for this.


Put in the microwave for a minute, whisk and repeat until completely integrated.  If it is too runny when you are done, wait for it to cool - it will thicken.


Then you top those bad boys with chocolate deliciousness....mmm


After this I didn't feel like they were quite done.  So I whipped up some peanut butter frosting and piped it over the top.  Just peanut butter, butter, milk and powdered sugar.  How pretty are they?


Just for an added touch of I dunno what, I popped little mini Reese's Peanut butter cups on the top.


The jury definitely liked these bad boys.  The Nutter Butter in the center was a great surprise when you bit in.  




2 comments: